With all the uncertainty around us right now, you are probably feeling overwhelmed. We are struggling to balance homeschooling, childcare, jobs in a new environment, and the stress of the ever-changing news and world around us.
Lots of emotions are normal right now- you might be anxious, stressed, feeling down, sad, grieving, angry, and overwhelmed. Here are some things we can work on together to keep us going until we come out the other end of this difficult time. When you begin therapy with me, we will delve deeper into these areas as needed.
- Maintain good sleep habits. Have a relaxing routine at night where you avoid news and upsetting things. Create calming routines before bed for kids too!
- Maintain a routine in general! Get up and get dressed in the morning- yes, even if you don’t have anywhere to go. This helps us feel some normalcy.
- Incorporate daily activity with exercise, a walk, or work around the house. Keep the kids active too.
- Get sunlight! Get outdoors daily if possible. Take a walk/hike. Do some exercise outdoors. Sit out with a book or to have a meal. Garden. Getting outside can make a big difference in our mood.
- Accept that this time will be uncertain. Focus on the things you can control and problem solve around, rather than all the things you are hearing on the news that you can’t control. We work on acceptance and control in therapy.
- Limit your exposure to the news and social media. Take tech breaks.
In therapy, we can work on building more positive coping strategies that can help us adjust better. Maybe most important is to remember to be patient and forgiving with yourself. We are going through something we never have before. There are many challenges to navigate simultaneously. Take it easy on yourself by not expecting to be a perfect parent, homeschooler (you didn’t sign up for that!), or employee. You are doing the best you can under these strange and trying circumstances.
If you are ever in crisis, dial 911. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-8255. Crisis Textline: Text TALK to 741741