Counseling in Glen Mills, PA
- Anxiety, fear, worry
- Coping with aging, illness, pain
- Stress of caring for a loved one
- Learn how to become more socially connected
- Coping with loss of loved one or other life change
- Adjustment to retirement or change in lifestyle
We are in network with Medicare.
Living with Loss
The pain of loss is not limited to the grief we experience with the death of a loved one. Life can be filled with many different types of loss, such as
- The ending of an important relationship
- Divorce, separation
- Physical changes due to illness, aging
- Coping with chronic physical or mental illness
- Caring for an ill family member
There is no one “right” way to respond to loss. People have many different reactions and feelings. These may include
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Feeling numb, having trouble feeling
- Depression, sadness, frequent crying
- Physical symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, shortness of breath
- Feeling helpless
- Anxiety, panic
- Withdrawal from others, loneliness
- Irritability, moodiness
- Denial, avoidance
The feelings and reactions to loss that people experience are certainly not limited to the list above; however, this list can give you an idea of how the pain of loss may be affecting you.
Coping with Loss
Healthy Ways to Cope
- Give yourself time to process and mourn the loss. Don’t try to “move on” too quickly.
- Talk about it with someone who is supportive and makes you feel safe.
- Take good care of yourself during times of change and loss. Exercise, eat well, get rest.
- Surround yourself with supportive people. Don’t isolate yourself.
- Try to put off other major changes/decisions if possible, until you have had some time to deal with the current loss you are experiencing.
- Continue to engage in activities that are meaningful to you and that you enjoy.
Dr. Amy Schullery provides counseling for geriatric and aging issues in Glen Mills, PA. Please don’t hesitate to call and ask questions at (610) 635-9641.
Copyright 2017 Amy Schullery, Psy.D.